- About Montessori
- Attending WPMS
Montessori School Job Opportunity: HEAD OF SCHOOL
The Western Pennsylvania Montessori, located in Allison Park, is the first and oldest Montessori School in our region and as such we have perfected the delivery of the Montessori Method to the age groups we serve. The school has been a member of the American Montessori Society since 1965. Western Pennsylvania Montessori is a privately funded, not-for-profit school. Our programs are offered year round for children ages 20 months to 6 years of age. Certified Montessori teachers lead each classroom. The school gives highest priority to communication between parents and teachers about children’s progress. The school offers equal opportunity to all and is non-discriminatory.
WPMS MISSION STATEMENT
Western Pennsylvania Montessori School shall provide a safe, secure, and nurturing atmosphere in which each child may develop and grow emotionally, socially, intellectually and physically by receiving a well-rounded experience based on the Montessori philosophy.
The Head of School should serve as a centralizing leadership figure within the school and the local community. The Head of School will work closely with the Board of Directors (“Board”). The Head of School will tend to the issues that concern the school as a whole and will facilitate communication /build consensus among the teachers, staff, families and Board. The Head of School should have a larger vision for the future direction of the school while continuing to support and encourage the preservation of the Montessori philosophy through the school.
Minimum of a bachelor degree, with knowledge of Montessori education strongly preferred. Administrative experience in an educational setting with demonstrated leadership qualities encouraged.
PRINCIPAL DUTIES OF THE HEAD OF SCHOOL
- Responsible for the administrative success of all school programs, functions and activities.
- Ensures that the school is in compliance with all applicable governmental laws and regulations.
- Serves as Business Manager for WPMS.
- Executes the financial policy, including communicating Board policy and decisions to parents and prospective parents.
- Oversees financial issues and long term planning.
- Assists in coordination and execution of fund-raising plans.
- Serves as a resource for the Fundraising Committee.
PERSONNEL (All Staff)
- Recruits teachers, assistant teachers, and support staff.
- Oversees teachers/programs, coordinating across all classrooms.
- Administers equitable systems of compensation, working conditions and professional development of all staff.
- Where necessary, counsels and advises school employees.
- Represents and explains the WPMS school mission program to prospective families.
- Oversees and coordinates recruitment of students.
- Informs parents and prospective parents of enrollment policies.
- Performs all admissions tasks necessary to achieve WPMS values.
- Oversees and coordinates enrollment of graduating students into respective elementary schools.
- Works with Teachers to coordinate curriculum.
- Helps guide Teachers in achieving their educational goals.
- Coordinates and attends all Teachers meetings.
- Serves as liaison between teachers and parents to resolve classroom issues.
- Maintains school discipline policy in a consistent and respectful manner.
- Coordinates all internal and external school communications.
- Serves as spokesperson for WPMS.
- Maintains constructive liaisons with other educational institutions and associations.
- Facilitates communication among all of the school’s constituents and encourages their participation in WPMS activities and events.
- Represents WPMS in the community at large.
SCHOOL FACILITIES, EQUIPMENT, DAILY OPERATIONS
- Oversees daily operations of school, ensuring a safe and friendly environment.
- Attends to tasks and responsibilities associated with successful operation of school (e.g. communication, security, maintenance) in an as-needed and sometimes hands-on capacity.
- Supervises maintenance of all school equipment.
- Supervises the maintenance of WPMS as an aesthetically attractive and safe environment.
- Advises Board on facilities and equipment improvement.
- Remains informed of trends, research and legislation that may affect WPMS management, operation and policy.
- Advises Board when policy changes or action may be necessary.
- Maintains a comprehensive set of records on students, staff and prospective students.
RESPONSIBILITY TO BOARD OF DIRECTORS
- Serves as non-voting member of the Board and attends all Board meetings and functions.
- Keeps the Board informed of all aspects of school operations.
- Brings to the Board’s attention issues that may require Board action.
- Communicates all Board policies and changes to the teaching staff and non-teaching staff and to WPMS community.
- Serves as a resource for the Board in developing new policies and initiatives.
- Serves as a resource for the Board on financial matters.
- Represents the Board and Board decisions and policies to parents when appropriate.
- Health insurance, AD&D, Life Insurance and Disability Insurance.
- 401K with 3% WPMS match
- Salary negotiable based upon experience and qualifications
- Free coffee and tea and a wonderful staff
If interested, please submit a current vitae, cover letter and written educational philosophy statement to:
Attention: WPMS Search Committee
2379 Wyland Ave
Allison Park, PA 15101